Sorry for the lack of blog post yesterday, but today I have a special treat. A couple of weeks ago I decided I really wanted to make homemade doughnuts. This past Saturday I did exactly that. It took around 3 hours, but they tasted just like Krispy Kreme when they were warm. I found the website online at Food.com. I think they turned out amazing though they did take awhile to make.
I even made a few Jelly doughnuts with strawberry jelly and a special piping tip. PS--the glaze on these is AMAZING!!! Here's the recipe, enjoy!
- 2 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1/4 cup water (105-115)
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- canola oil
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2 1/2-quart bowl.
- 2Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 2 cups flour.
- 3Beat on low for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- 4Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 5Stir in remaining flour until smooth.
- 6Cover and let rise until double, 50-60 minutes.
- 7(Dough is ready when indentation remains when touched.) Turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour.
- 8Gently roll dough 1/2-inch thick with floured rolling pin.
- 9Cut with floured doughnut cutter.
- 10Cover and let rise until double, 30-40 minutes.
- 11Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350°.
- 12Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula.
- 13Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface.
- 14Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
- 15Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surface); drain.
- 16Dip the doughnuts into creamy glaze set on rack then when slightly cooled spread chocolate frosting on top.
- 17Dip in sprinkles or other toppings after chocolate if desired.
- 18Creamy Glaze: Heat butter until melted.
- 19Remove from heat.
- 20Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- 21Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
- 22Chocolate Frosting: Heat butter and chocolate over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.
- 23Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- 24Stir in water 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.